A graduate of NYC public schools, Eric is now a special education teacher in our public schools and a former chapter leader in the United Federation of Teachers. Eric is committed to strengthening our schools and providing a great education for all our children, and that’s why he has the endorsement of the United Federation of Teachers for the City Council.
The COVID-19 pandemic has shone a light on the ugly inequity that exists in the public education system in our city, and nobody is better equipped to support our children and families than Eric:
- Re-opening Safely: Eric has been working diligently to make sure our students and families stay safe during this pandemic, while providing services to all families. He will continue to use his platform to advocate for the support families need as we all navigate a changing and challenging school re-opening process.
- Restorative Justice, Mental Health, and Expanding Social-Emotional Learning: The needs of our children run deep -- far beyond the four walls of a classroom. No child can be at their best when grappling with emotional issues, difficult home situations, or untreated mental health needs. Eric will ensure that each child receives the individual support they need.
- Utilizing Schools as Community Centers: Schools are an integral part of our community and can play a bigger role than just educating our kids. Eric will strongly support programming to allow our schools to provide services to all residents of all ages and make our community stronger.
- Improving Access to Literacy Programs and College Readiness Counseling: Too many NYC school children graduate without the skills they need to be successful in college or life. Eric will expand access to remedial services to ensure that every child has access to a high-quality education, no matter their school district.
- Ensuring Smaller Class Sizes: As an educator, Eric knows students are better served by smaller class sizes and more individualized attention. He will work to put an end to overcrowding in our classrooms and provide students with the individualized attention they deserve.
- Ending the Over-reliance on Standardized Testing: Standardized tests put undue stress on students and force teachers to “teach to the test.” Overuse and misuse of standardized tests hurts our kids, our schools, and our teachers. We can not ignore the fact that different students display their intelligence in different ways and students should not be limited in how they can achieve success.
- Demanding the Federal and State Funding We Deserve: In order to open our schools safely and support every student, Eric is advocating for taxes on ultra-millionaires and billionaires to increase funding from the state and federal government to ensure the Northwest Bronx is fully funded. You can read more about Eric’s fight to secure school funding for our community at the federal level here.