For the LGBTQ+ community, every day is an act of bravery. Every person, no matter how they identify themselves, deserves dignity and to live a life free of discrimination. As a teacher, I taught LGBTQ+ students and saw the struggles they face. LGBTQ+ youth struggle with depression and suicidal thoughts at high rates, and are more likely to endure bullying, isolation and homelessness. This must change.
On the Council, I will be an ally to this community, and sponsor legislation that protects and expands the rights of LGBTQ+ New Yorkers. I will also put funding toward organizations that provide resources to my LGBTQ+ constituents.
- Expand access to healthcare for LGBTQ+ individuals, including increasing the number of NYC Health + Hospitals’ Pride Health Centers.
Support LGBTQ+ youth by advocating for:
- Social-emotional learning and mental health education in schools
- Increasing the number of school psychologists and social workers to address issues of bullying and isolation
- Additional funding to community partners that are working to address homophobia and transphobia in the home.
- Safe havens for those experiencing homelessness
- Make sure there is fair treatment of LGBTQ+ individuals in our criminal justice system and city jails
- Urge the Legislature to repeal the “walking while trans” ban.